We all learn alittle something everyday and today I had a very enriching lesson. MacRitchie was my classroom and the teachers were the different people from all walks of life gathered for what they were passionate for. Running. The circumstances for which I was there aren't important but im just glad that it took place.
The group comprises of typical people you meet in the streets. Bosses of companies or your typical uncles who drives trucks. In their 30s, 40s, 50s? Don't let their appearances deceive you. They're fitter than you or me. Miss Susan Chua, our ex-PEM, was there. She's a really inspiring person. I had some thinking to do after the short time spent with her.
Firstly, age is nothing okay. Nothing. Not an excuse to say you are too old to exercise. They run a minimum of 10km each time. It's a freaking minimum TEN. Not once but twice a week. If bosses can find time to run, why cant we? Their mental strength is so strong, camaradie so infectious. I met Marche's boss, they call him moo moo ( cause of Marche's cow). He's going to the Himalayas next Monday. I think he's riding up with his bike. He has scaled 4000 to 5000 ft in his 40s and now tts he's in his 50s, he's gonna set his sights on 6000ft. Like big woah. You know how fit you have to be to do that. He has completed 3 stages of the 'Powerman' and one more stage to go to get the title. These are the people who has set goals for themselves and achieved it. They have completed marathons of 42km, conquered duathlons or triathlons.
Secondly, I finally found someone that can relate to my condition. Miss Chua just completely understands la. You think im feeling good to see others go for trainings, doing the sports they love. I feel like a crippled. Because of my knees I got to lay off sports for like what? Months? I want to run. I love to run. I love hockey too, there's no sport like it but I havnt completely dedicated myself to it. There's a lot of stuff im passionate about its just where im going to channel it to. You don't really get the same kick if u ask me to do some other sport.
Thridly, I learnt that sports is there to keep you healthy and fit. A sport is not achieving its purpose if the only thing you get out of it is injuries. It may seem like a simple line known to all but you can be really amazed at how far I side tracked from it. I kept on insisting on playing hockey, kept on thinking that injuries are part and parcel of being a sport that I completely forgot its purpose.
Im going to recover and I'll set a aim this time. A short break is for a longer journey. Sometimes I ask myself what's the big difference between staying in srjc and coming to sports & wellness? (Besides the work and stress load) Cause im not that big a sports fan and ultimately I don't see myself doing it long term. But hey I got my answer. I've met a group of dynamic people, people that taught me a lot of different things that I can apply to life's lessons (wch I will talked abt someother time, if I feel like it.) =)