Back in civilization, all thing's cool. Except for the large amount of stuff I have to unpacked (and is still around my room somewhere) the past 3 days up in ophir has been really good. Basically, I went to ophir not knowing what to expect, who I will be going with and how everything will turn out. The mountain did throw me some surprises.
I absolutely disliked the never-ending steps up at the foot of the mountain, I would have drop dead at the thought of steps all the way up to the summit. I was like telling myself as my quadriceps burned 'eileen, you goon du, can stay comfortably at home but you come running here. Im never gonna do this again.' Well that was the beginning. I found out in the end why I'd always come back for more.
In the nights, all of us walked about in pitch black darkness, learning to appreciate the basic comforts we have at home. We didn't starve up there with all the good cooking from the guys. =) as the night got later, we would lay the ground with clean trash bags and gaze up to the bright wonders above with the breeze gently blowing by. Speaking of breezes, we had really strong ones on the second night. It sounded totally like a big wave crashing in but we realized after awhile that it was the sound of trees simultaneously rustling as the wind whipped past them. Remember we're around mid mountain, loads of trees below us.
In the day, we went on treks. Some of which seemed to be never-ending, we climbed one hill only to be met by another and yet another. Along the way, each of us fostered a sense of camaradie with our mates. We helped one another through, anticipating the needs of others and enjoying the elements of nature, all with one goal in our minds. The summit.
The nearer we got to it, the more fun we had.
Once we were up there, I guess there are 2 things you can do. WHOOP and hug everyone around with joy or just stand and stare in awe at the expanse before us. Its so peaceful at 1276m above everything.. I wished I could set a temporary tent there and wake up to that awesome view in the morning. Lunch was one of the best I had, I didn't know tuna, biscuits and bread could taste so good up there too. Grins. I brought back not just good memories, friends and experience from the mountain, but also a HUGE appetite! Gonna go in search for food now. Bye ppl.